Sunday 23 October 2011

Decisions, decisions

It's the impact I'm most interested in when it comes to decisions. On me. On those around me. On my time. On their time.

There have been lots of decisions to make recently about my life and our life. Even when you need to make a personal decision, you are a fool if you don't consider the nearest and dearest. If you share your life with someone, there is no need to include them in the decision over what to have on your toast. But leave them out of other stuff (job, money, health, travel) and your decisions, while very much your own, have an unkempt feel about them.

I know this because I have tried doing it. It came back, bit me right on the arse and I have learnt, that even decisions deemed to be solely yours, have consequences beyond your mental meandering.

Some decisions right now are becoming bolder in my everyday landscape. Some months ago, my friend Maria and I decided to sign up for Cruce de los Andes, a 3-day 100km race through the Andes mountains from Chile to Argentina. It was something that, after our first marathon together, we had set our hearts on. The decision wasn't a difficult one, but it was important that I made it with her. There is no one else I can do this with. No one else who gets me and the importance of this adventure. There is no one else I would, even, do it with and it was a 'now or never' decision that neither of us, I believe, will live to regret.

The race will take place in February. Mentally, it started back with the booking and physically it started once my leg had recovered. Today I ran my first 10km in 8 months and all the while I was thinking about the decision to do this challenge and how it will impact on life from now on; dark nights through the winter, training talk, nutrition and long distance support with Maria, and saying no to things when there are stairs to climb or hills to run.

Another major recent decision has been about my work, and this has really taught me the value of making decisions with those around you. The implications of my doing this or that on our rather topsy-turvy life at the moment is one I had to include. And the basis of the decision was one we both shared: happiness and sanity. As Martín will have decisions to make in the coming months after he flies past interview after interview, so it will be that I help him and consider those important things that aren't just counted in euros or pounds. If not, the decisions become illogical. I can't think of a position and paycheck without thinking about place and person.

I've always found it easy to make decisions and have usually been confident enough to run with them and 'see what happens'. Having consulted more, however, I have a feeling that the ones I have made recently will bear a lot more fruit because my tree is so much more grounded with supporting roots.

I can bend with the wind, but I bounce back.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Laura!

    Surfing on the internet I came across you blog and thougt; hey I know that girl! (years ago we shared a room on a little boat around the Galapagos) :-)
    Still love the way you tell a story! You write in a way that keeps people reading ;-).

    How are you? Still enjoying life in Buenos Aires :-)?!
    I see that you've completed the marathon-challenge en are already preparing for the next one. You go girl!!
    My training didn't go so well because of a chronic lack in time (poor excuse..I know..), so we decided to postpone out marathon-plan.
    Which makes me think about another plan:

    Next year, probably somewhere in september, my boyfriend and I are getting married! And we are planning an extra long honeymoon (8 mounths trip around the world) ;-).
    Argentina is certainly also on our list and we are looking for a good language-school for a couple of weeks Spanish lesson. Can you advise us on some good ones?
    Would be great if we could also maybe meet/hang out again then!

    Looking forward to hearing from you,
    abrazos,
    Myriam.
    (myrfranssen@hotmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I'm a little slow on reading this, but CANNOT wait until Feb. It will definitely be an experience of a lifetime and so excited to get to do it with you. 2.5 months and counting...

    ReplyDelete

Share a word or two... it's what life is all about.