Wednesday 30 January 2013

Grandpa Welsey's Trip

This is my flash fiction for Julia's Place 100 Word Challenge. This week's prompt is this photo:

For more info go to http://jfb57.wordpress.com/











Grandpa Wesley’s Trip

“Every line,” Grandpa whispered, “is older than the dust in my bones.”
I stood on tiptoes and looked out. I wanted to count them: the purple, crimson, orange layers on fire in the sun. We squinted at the horizon, faces in the hot wind. I held Grandpa’s hand.
“And right down there…” A glint on his cheek; he was crying. One happy tear. “That’s where my great Grandpa went. The first. Oh, the stories Granny Mary would tell. Brave man, a good man.”
We listened to the roar of the river below, shouting back at us from our own history.
100 words excluding title.

6 comments:

  1. Terrific memories. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the read, Bo. Glad you liked it.
      Laura

      Delete
  2. Really brings out the feeling of connection. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! In writing it I ended up reading all about John Wesley Powell and his adventures, pretty awesome :-)

      Laura

      Delete
  3. Nicely told story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many thanks for reading and stopping by. Glad you liked it.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Share a word or two... it's what life is all about.