Saturday 30 November 2013

Flash fiction - Himalayan Call

Today is that last day of NaNoWriMo and although I am meeting up later with other writers from Luxembourg, there will be a lightness in my step and typing as I passed the 50,000-word goal a couple of days ago. Hoorah!

So, this morning, I needed another reason to get creative, and what better than a Trifecta write? Don't know what Trifecta is? Get your arse over there right now: www.trifectawritingchallenge.com. Anyway, usually I am behind the scenes, but this weekend it's a community judged 33-word free write. Here's mine:

Himalayan Call

Flames swaddle the village, orange gashes the only colour against the black mountain night. Until later, the tiger steals through, searching, sniffing for charred meat. 

The warning bell tickling in the wind, irrelevant. 
33 words

Click on the bike to read some fabulous writers. Who will you vote for?



10 comments:

  1. A great story. I loved the last line and especially the way you summed up the hopelessness of it all with that one word 'irrelevant'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this. It has a little bit of The Jungle Book feel to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah,you've reminded to dig out my Jungle Book video for the Christmas holidays. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Ooh, this is awesome, Laura! I love this line: The warning bell tickling in the wind, irrelevant.
    Also, I love that the only colors you mention are black and orange, and then you bring in a tiger. Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The warning bell tickling after the tiger. The imagery is spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, congrats on the NaNoWriMo win!

      Delete
    2. Muchas gracias Kymm! It was an emotional and hard journey, but so worth it! And thanks for your kind comment :-)

      Delete
  5. Congrats on your 50,000! This is really lush. I can smell the charred air. And your closing line kills.

    ReplyDelete

Share a word or two... it's what life is all about.