Thursday 2 January 2014

I'll have a P please, Bob

Happy New Year! Real people as well as Google and Microsoft tell me it's 2014. Wow. Brilliant. I never know which year it is. Students yell at me most weeks: "Um, Laura, it's not 1998" or "2003 was ten years ago" but at least for today, the second of January 2009 2014 I have it right. 

The first challenge over at Trifecta this year is a three-word new year's resolution. The prompt for this week was inspired by Michael Hess and his own three-worder, Just Be Nice. I love his sentiment, although I hate the word nice. Resolutions so far vary from the personal and prescriptive to the godly and sci-fi. It's all good. Some resolutions are words to be broken, others are fiction to be realised. I love them all from the inspiring to the downright stupid. It's always interesting to see what importance flows from our minds at the start of a brand new year. Like this one, 1991 2014.

So, onto my three words. I was thinking about a friend today while I came home on the train and how we have this running joke that she loves all foods beginning with P. Peas. Pizza. Pies. Pomegranate. Somehow, these thoughts got mixed up with my wishes for the year, which turned into verbs and so my new year's resolution for 2006 2014 is a field of Ps:


  • Procreate (I hope my mum doesn't read this or she will not stop banging on about it)
  • Publish (Like most people who write)
  • Participate (Don't be a bystander)
Resolutions are hard. If they were easy-peasy we wouldn't even bother doing this. Have fun sticking to yours. I'll have a P, please, Bob (Thanks, Blockbusters fans). 


Click on the trike to read more entries in this week's Trifextra Challenge and vote on your top three.



20 comments:

  1. Good luck on reaching all of your goals. (Had to laugh at the first one, because I never mentioned to a single soul when we decided to try for kids. I wanted to avoid all of the 'so, any kids yet?' questions :) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get the question anyway. It's like swatting flies! When, when, when, when?? People! Happy new year Janna x

      Delete
  2. I love it! I can relate to publish and participate for sure. Way to put yourself out there with that first one the part about your mum made me laugh. Lol. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. :)
    Great list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trying to accomplish the first "P" could be a lot of fun regardless of the results. Happy New Year to you :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very very true. Can't let procreation get too serious now. Happy New Year!

      Delete
  5. Three great 'P's' - I wish you success in them all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great list, Laura, P being one of my favorite alphabets. A very happy 2014 to you! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And a Happy New Year to you too. I loved your three as well, especially your (excellently placed)' connect'. Awesome.

      Delete
  7. Unaware But Underlined4 January 2014 at 07:23

    Cheers to all of your goals...babes come, trust me ;) they even know exactly when to be born and what name to be called...I've done it 10 times and this is my truth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers to a great 2014 for you too. I loved your resolution (it got my vote). Thanks for the baby wisdom too. I shall remember it. xxx

      Delete
  8. I love everything about this - the alliteration, the words you chose, the brief little descriptions alongside each one. Yay! Best wishes as you work towards each of these goals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Momo! I'll give them all my best shot, and have fun in the process. It's got to be a happy journey, right? Loved your resolution too. In fact, loads of yours were brilliant! Happy New Year!

      Delete
  9. The first one hits close to home for me. The easy response would be to make some flippant remark like, "Have fun trying" but, I know differently. My wife and I started out having fun trying but, as one year dragged into two and then close to three, with no results, it wasn't really fun anymore for either of us. Lots of tears and questioning. Then, the miracle happened....and again, three years later.......and we seem like old hands at it now. But, there were definitely days when we thought something was wrong with us and that we would never have a "real" family. So, I won't be flippant in my response to your resolution. Instead, I wish you and your partner, the gift of patience and of Love. Any child of yours will be lucky to have you as parents. Good luck in 2014. May you be late......soon. :) If not soon then, I wish for you the gift of being gentle on yourself. Miracles happen to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom, can I give you an award for the best comment ever? You words are pure and honest and kind and I REALLY appreciate them. I hope the miracle happens for us as it did for you. In time, we shall see. I will endeavour to remember these words and the gift of patience as we step out on this journey. Thank you so, so much. Have a wonderful year. By the way, your resolution got one of my votes as well. I loved it and all the best fulfilling it. I have no doubt your flock is in safe hands. Xx

      Delete
  10. Wonderful words, especially not to be a bystander. Best wishes for the new year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Donetta, and the same to you :-)

      Delete

Share a word or two... it's what life is all about.