Wednesday 7 May 2014

Flash fiction - Two's Company

Another writing treat of a day and another cool prompt over at Studio 30 Plus. This week it is precarious perch. It's funny how some words just have such a strong pull in a certain direction. Read below and then check out the other entries and you'll see what I mean. There's good company over at Studio 30 Plus, so click on the icon at the bottom to read more. Thanks for stopping by.

Two’s Company
While I sit here on my little wooden perch, strung between the bars at either end of my world, I watch her and wonder if it is not she who dangles, who forever tries to stay steady on her own precarious perch in her world which, if we’re honest, is hardly greater than mine.

The curtains, drawn, shading the glare of the afternoon and dousing us both in pale yellow light, reveal nothing beyond these faded flowered walls, sideboards full of fine china, soft upright chairs which never get creased. 

I try to listen beyond this silence to sounds that come from other birds in the green and open place I glimpsed a long time ago; or maybe I have only dreamt it. Now, I cannot remember. 

Holding the furniture with all her might, holding onto anything for dear life, she shuffles to the window, maybe hoping today will be the day she looks out. But no, her chair welcomes her back just seconds later and the moment has passed. Her hands are back in her lap, rolling over each other’s emptiness and the pain of having no other hand to hold. 

It is then I wish I was more than feathers and could offer a hand through the bars. 



18 comments:

  1. Awe this was lovely! Interesting perspective from a little bird in a cage wanting to comfort another lonely caged bird. So sad and so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Sometimes the bars are invisible even if we are outside the cage.

      Delete
  2. What a nice piece. I felt sorry for both of them. Both confined to their own little world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for the read and kind comment, glad it tugged on the heart strings a bit :-)

      Delete
  3. I love your take on the prompt. Great point of view. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Every tiny stroke of this imagery paints such a complete picture of this empty life. And seen through the eyes of a caged bird -- genius. Lovely, lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, maybe genius is too far, but I am very happy you liked it!

      Delete
  5. Gosh, I had to read and re-read this. It stabs straight to the heart.
    What wonderful writing, and imaginative interpretation of the prompt -
    I'm so pleased I found your amazing blog.
    Emma :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello and a mighty warm welcome! Thanks so much for your very generous comments, I am so glad it caught you. That is a writer's dream!

      Delete
  6. Wow, this is lovely writing, Laura! I particularly liked the second and third paragraphs ... The curtains, drawn, shading the glare of the afternoon and dousing us both in pale yellow light ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I LOVE everything you write, I am giddy that you like this :-)

      Delete
  7. "If it is not she who dangles"
    oh my. it stopped my breath. What a beautiful lyrical line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Breathe, Kir! Thanks for your emotion and your read. I always love your comments ;-)

      Delete
  8. I simply loved your ending. it's so nostalgic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks! If our feathered friends could talk...

      Delete
  9. Ouch ouch ouch

    This was so perfectly written it was painful to live through. Marvelous work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you Thomas! I just commented read yours - am hoping my comment isn't lost but awaiting moderation :-)

      Delete

Share a word or two... it's what life is all about.